There are millions of small businesses in the United States alone. While corporations certainly see their fair share of business, the small business market is a big part of what keeps our country thriving. One question that comes for many owners of smaller companies is how to make a small business stand out from the competition. It can be challenging in today’s market. Check out our 5 tips to help you stand out and gain a competitive edge!
5 Tips to Make Your Small Business Better Than the Rest
- Listen to your customers. This may seem like a no brainer, but it’s something to keep in the back of your mind. Many times, businesses see a bad review and start to get defensive for one reason or another. Instead of immediately going on the defense, take a step back and assess what your customer is saying. Is there something you could have done differently? Where was the disconnect?
- Practice good customer service. This is an extension of the first tip. Anticipate what your customers need from you and do your best to give it to them. Send regular e-newsletters with information about the company, coupons and customer appreciation. Be prompt following up on customer requests. Go above and beyond the call of duty to meet customer needs. Have them fill out surveys. They’ll be more likely to come back, and you’ll build a devoted client base!
- Figure out your values and stick to them. Your company isn’t going to be the same as everyone else’s, and it doesn’t need to be. If your values, mission, offerings, and customer service all align, your customers will respect you more. For example, if your website is witty and full of humor, but everything behind the scenes is run in a somber and strict manner, you have a disconnect. Clients and customers may not know what’s wrong, but they’ll be able to sense that something is off.
- Have fun with your branding. Whatever your values or mission, make sure that you do your best to get the message through in your branding. Play around with different styles to figure out what works for you. You may want to consider hiring a designer to help you bring your unique vision to life. Similar to your values, make sure that all of your branding is somewhat uniform for easy brand recognition.
- Find your marketing niche. Marketing is so important. It’s how clients and customers are able to find you – and it’s usually their very first impression of your company. Investing in good marketing will make your company easy to find and memorable. Figure out where your desired audience gets most of their information, and market to that medium (internet, newspaper, etc).
Succeeding in a Small Business
While a small business isn’t without its challenges, owning a small business can be so rewarding. Follow the above tips to make your business stand out and be successful!