It’s important to get your social media photo size right no matter what platform you’re using— both the aspect ratio and the size in pixels. Beyond preventing stretching or pixelation of your images, it ensures any words and captions don’t get cut off. Keeping track of the different sizes can be time consuming, so we’ve put together an easy reference guide for you here.
The days of Instagram only supporting square images are over, but that doesn’t mean any old image is fine to post.
- Ideal width: 1080 pixels
- Ideal height: between 566 and 1350 pixels
- Supported aspect ratio: between 1.91:1 and 4:5
- Stories and reels use images of 1080×1920 pixels, an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Size for profile photo: 320×320 pixels for quality, will display at 110×100 pixels.
Twitter has a few more restrictions on their images than Instagram, and because they started out as a desktop app they have different specs for desktop and mobile.
- Size for profile photos: 400×400 pixels
- Size for header photos: 1500×500 pixels
- Size for in-stream photos: 600×335 pixels minimum, 1600×900 pixels recommended
- Supported aspect ratio: between 2:1 and 1:1 on desktop, 2:1, 3:4, or 16:9 on mobile.
- Supported formats: GIF, JPG, and PNG
Facebook doesn’t have many restrictions on images, but optimizing your social media photo size to make sure they appear in people’s feeds as intended is important.
- Size for profile photos: 170×170 pixels minimum
- Size for shared images: 1200×630 pixels minimum
- Size for cover images: 400×150 pixels minimum
- Size for event images: 1920×1080 pixels
- Size for stories: any, 1080 pixels wide recommended
- Supported aspect ratio for posts and sharing: any, but images will be formatted to be 500 pixels wide and 1.91:1 aspect ratio for view in the feed
- Supported aspect ratio for stories: 9:16
- Supported formats: JPG or PNG, PNG recommended for pictures with logos or text
- Maximum file size: 30MB
LinkedIn also supports cover images on company and personal pages, and a variety of sizes for different types of posts.
- Size for company logos: 300×300 pixels
- Size for page cover image: 1128×191 pixels
- Size for Life tab main image: 1128×376 pixels
- Size for Life tab custom modules: 502×282 pixels
- Size for Life tab company photos: 900×600 pixels
- Size for posted/shared images: 1200×628 pixels
- Maximum image size: 7680×4320 pixels for all types/placements
- Maximum file size: 8MB for all types/placements
- Supported aspect ratio: 4:1 for cover photos, 1.91:1 for posted/shared images
Experts in Social Media At Your Service
My Content Co knows how to create relevant, engaging, and timely digital content, just like you know how to grow your small business. We specialize in creating websites, blogs, social media posts, and newsletters that are consistent with your brand. Partner with us to keep your Facebook advertising up to date so that you can get back to doing what you do best – running your business. Visit us online or contact us today at 410-324-3934 to get started.